Body mass index (BMI) is also known as Quetelet’s index. It is based on Weight/ (height)2 with the height measured in meters and weight measured in kilograms. It is a convenient and reliable indicator of obesity. This will check if there is any excess fat deposited in the body. This accumulation of unwanted body fat can lead to many diseases. Also, your body mass index (BMI) can be used to check if your body weight is below a certain level. Weight loss will be followed by fatigue and constant tiredness. This can lead to complications such as malnutrition and reduced immunity to diseases. So it is important to know the value of your body mass index.
Asian BMI cutoff values:
- If the BMI is less than 18.5, the lower weight category.
- If the BMI is between 18.5 and 25, then the bodyweight is healthy.
- If the BMI is between 25 and 30, the overweight group.
- If the BMI value is 30 or above, a very heavyweight group.
If you are involved in sports or bodybuilding, the more muscle you have, the higher your BMI will be. But because this is an increase in muscle mass (not an increase in body fat) you are not considered obese or obese.
Advantages of BMI
- It is a direct assessment tool for body fatness.
- It can be used to monitor the weight loss quality or can be used to see the effect of medical therapy.
Disadvantages of BMI
- It cannot assess the fat mass and lean mass which may be more relevant in terms of nutritional or drug requirements and metabolic risk.
- It has a relatively limited field methods are estimations database.
- Limited understanding by clients.
If your weight does not belong to the healthy weight category, there is no need to worry about it. Your dietitian or doctor can help you achieve healthy or lean body weight. Also, if your weight is in the healthy bodyweight category, you need to maintain a good diet and an active lifestyle.
In some cases, even if your weight is in the healthy weight category, there may be an accumulation of unwanted fat in the abdomen. Therefore, it is important to check the waist circumference. When measuring waist circumference, keep the gauge horizontaly around the waist and do not tigten the gauge closed .The following is the set value at which your waist circumference should be.
Asian waist circumference cutoff values:
- Female – should be equal to or less than 80 cm.
- Males – should be equal to or less than 90 cm.